12 February 2006

Rang De Basanti

I had heard a lot about this movie. There were people who were saying that its really inspiring.
And there were a few who said that they don't understand why the movie is talked about so much. Yesterday I was talking to Bulbul and she said she is really moved by the movie. I didn't understand what did she mean. Is it the concept, the story, or the movie making skills which she is talking about?It was weekend and we went for some beer though a bit early. After having enough beer and the high, we went to watch the movie. Last night it was screened in our insti Open Air Theatre (OAT) as a promotional movie. Junta had said to watch it in a theatre to feel it.Finally I was watching Rang De Basanti in a theatre without paying for it. The movie had started,went through the interval and finished. I for a change didn't find it inspiring, as I felt while watching Lakshya or Swades. Towards the end of the movie my mind had moved out of the movie and I was actually thinking. Yes when you are high you think, but this was different. OAT was full of talented young minds and the professors also. When Soha Ali Khan says, "mar dalo usse" junta roared in enthusiasm, when ever Karan spoke a few lines on radio junta roared. I sat there quietly, watching the whole drama. I never felt the rush of blood. In Swades Mohan Bhargava didn't come back to save India, or to change the political system or to eradicate poverty from rural India. He had a vision and he came back to fulfill that. A small but significant one. In Lakshya Karan is like any other youngster who is confused until he realizes what he needs to do. In Rang De Basanti I could not understand if it is anywhere close to reality. Ofcourse there are emotions attached and if something like that happens any one will get agitated. I have myself gone through something similar. It was not a politician but a doctor. In class 10th one of my close friend had fever and the doctor said its just a case of malaria where as it was typhoid. He died due to the negligence. I could not understand what can be done about the doctor. We were helpless. I don't know what his family was going through,but there must be somekind of anger which got subjugated due to the pain and emotional distress. Everyone talks of changing the political system, to bring a new revolution, to change the corrupt system. And there are a few who actually work towards this. But how many of us actually bring out a small change within ourselves. When a group of young IITians form a political party it becomes news. People think that now here are a bunch of talented youngsters who left high paying jobs and are really doing something. But it just disappears from people's mind after a few days. No doubt, cinematicaly speaking the movie is great, the concept is amazing and the screenplay is superb. But apart from just bringing a few hours of temporary inspiration for these young minds it does nothing. At the end of the movie students were interacting with the director Rakeysh Mehra, the producer, Madhavan and Siddharth(Karan) who had come there to interact with these talented youngsters and their reaction towards the movie. I didn't have any questions to ask them or had the slightest enthu to interact with them. I just shrugged in the crowd and came out of OAT confused, I was no more high.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amita said...

Lakshya and Swadesh were good movies. We need many more such movies. Possibly there were flaws in Rang De Basanti, as you and few others, say. But, I would only say,that you are missing the big picture. First of all RDB is very different from Swadesh, trying to address different problems. And however, they fall under patriotic genre, the solutions are different.

Secondly, how many movies like RDB do you get to see in a year? Hardly any. And when one comes, I do not think, it is the right thing to find out the fallony and miss the impact that it can have.

You have your reasons for liking or not liking the movie. Neither do I review movies. But all I want to convey to you and to all like you, that India needs many more such movies - movies that make you just think! Rather than being critical about the movie, it is more appropriate to applaud the initiatives - towards 'Incredibe India'.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 6:20:00 AM  
Blogger Chittz said...

hmm.. very true. When I watched RBD for the first time, I was caried along with the flow of it, but now a couple of weeks later, I think the plan of action those guys chose to take (murdering defence ministers) was just plain stupid. but that is not the point of RBD, it is not meant to show us where what we are meant to do, it simply means to get ppl talking, or rather was a wake-up call for the youth. I think it did succeed in part in that. Atleast a percentage of ppl, have started thinking. BUt wether they will do anything my it is a different matter. Even if one person out there is galvanised into action, I will say the director has very much suceeded in his task. and something tells me, that one person does exisist.

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:18:00 AM  
Blogger Chittz said...

hi Br!j

how the hell do u pronounce that? :P yeah obviously that awe inspiring quote.. but I have never really pulled it out like this and looked at it this way...

mm.. I read that discussion.. it started with your blog and inevitably ended up with 'is swades better of RGB better" honestly! I'm asuming u read my post 'I believe' since you commented under it. And it strikes s startling resemblence to what you were trying to defend don't you think?

According to me, if each us tried living as a better person, the world will become that way- better. that is all there is to it. no drastic descions sudden striking ideas just trying to live our boring ol' lives witha little bit more commitment and more cheerfullness. that is all it takes.

so I guess we pretty much think alike. c u later.

chittz

Monday, March 13, 2006 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger Amita said...

Brij, Its good reading your views. A lot will change if India becomes economically empowered...

But "Reality" ....life is so engrossing.. uff!!!

You will not even realize when you came out of college and entered the next phase of your life - career and family; you just get into the trap. And you are so deep into it that everything else in the world becomes oblivious.

Believe me, It happens. If you see my blog - there is a poem "I saw Fire" .. it is based on a true incident, shamefully that involves me. I was on my way to office, and i see this street dweller caught in fire .. I just went passed, like everyone else. I could not fogive myself for long...!

So, may be I am saying "beware" or may be I am saying, "keep the flame burning".At the least-keep writing :)

Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home